Mar 7, 2007

Feeling Good

What's new? What's new? First of all, I had a really good weekend. On Friday night, we went to a Sarah Blasko concert at a small bar in town. I'm pretty sure I had heard of her before I came down to Australia, so I thought I should jump at the opportunity to see a potentially big name at a small venue for a meager ticket price. I'm glad I did. Both the opening act and her band were really good, and they put on quite a show. I likened it to a Yeah Yeah Yeahs concert with a little less energy and a lot less Michael Stipe face paint. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about.
On Sunday, we had the monthly market, and it was almost too much to handle. The sun was relentless in its quest to kill every organism on Earth. We got there and got some food, and could hardly move out of the shade afterwards. I did have a few purchases in mind, though, so I knew that I had to go get those, and then we could get the hell out of there. I went and bought a machete and a chili plant, and that was all I could handle. I had what I needed, so we were getting out. As we started unlocking out bikes to leave, we saw this guy selling puppies for $50, and I started into a huge debate with myself on if I should get one. $50 is only $50 more than a steal! I was practically counting my money when I talked myself out of it. I knew there was too much that I was overlooking; like the fact that we can't have pets. So in the end I think I made the right choice even though it broke my heart.

As we were driving around later, we heard on the radio that Nine Inch Nails were coming to Brisbane in May, so when we got home, we jumped online and grabbed some tickets since they were actually really cheap. So we'll be seeing them on May 7th, two months from today, which is funny since it's also exactly one month after I'll be at the Blues and Roots festival, watching the Roots. I won't rub it in by telling you who else I'm gonna be seeing there, but they've got a pretty sweet line-up this year, except they don't have Sigur Ros who I really wanted to see from last year.

So on the other end of the spectrum from music, I saw Apocalypto last night, which I thought was freaking awesome, especially the part where the jaguar eats the dude's face. OK, it was gross, but you gotta admit, it was pretty cool. But I also finished the book I just told you I was reading The Society Of Others. It was also really good and had some pretty insightful stuff. But the more impressive fact for me is that I counted, and I've read 7 books since I've been here! In order, they are:
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Stuart:A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters
Operation Typhoon Shore by Joshua Mowell
The Prestige by Christopher Priest
Tokyo Cancelled by Rana Dasgupta
Politics by Adam Thirlwell
The Society of Others by William Nicholson

I say that's not bad considering that a couple years ago I wouldn't read anything except Harry Potter.

So finally the weather is cooling off here and has been dumping rain on and off by the buckets full for a couple days now. I can finally sleep well at night and I'm getting some energy back. Yep, feeling good.

No comments: