Feb 26, 2007

POI

Life has been pretty slow around here recently, but to keep my blog up and running freely, and just to let you know some more about what I'm doing, I thought I'd throw some of these little tidbits at you. Mostly they'll just read like commercials for the products, but maybe, just maybe, it'll be a good conversation starter for your next shindig.

KILLER BUNNIES
I'm pretty sure they have this game in the US. It's a card game, much like Magic: The Gathering, except that always seemed way too complex and nerdy. Killer Bunnies is simple. It's about killer bunnies. You might be able to tell from the name that the game has a pretty good sense of humor, and it carries on in everything from the weapons you use in the game, all the way to the instruction manual.

That's another thing... it is a little bit complex, and will probably take until the end of the first game to figure out exactly what the hell is going on, but after that, it's amazing how well thought out and easy the game is to run through. It's also a lot better the more players you have, so try to get everyone to sit down together and keep their ADD under control for a night. But it does say on the box AGES 12+, which is probably about right if you want anyone younger to be able to fully grasp the game.

If you buy it and get into it, there's 10 different expansion packs available, which would give you 660 cards to play with! Then you, sir, would be addicted. Check out their website for more fun at: www.killerbunnies.com

My favorite card: Green Gelatin (with evil pineapple lumps) Weapon Level 2

WICKED CAMPERS
These vans are awesome. I was seriously considering getting one for my birthday so I could drive up to the Gold Coast, but it turns out the closest place that rents them is an hour further on the OTHER side of the Gold Coast. But either way, these things are all over Byron, and I don't like so much for the fact that some of them have a full kitchen in them, but the fact that the artwork and the sayings on them are always really sweet. The pictures range from bands like the Gorillaz to Jimi Hendrix, to movies like Team America and E.T. And the sayings... here's some that are on there:

"I'd like to meet the person who invented sex and see what they're up to now."
"Don't be difficult. Put in some effort and be impossible."
"Support bacteria. It's the only culture some people have."
"Cocaine is God's way of saying you're making too much money."

It's always good to see these when you're having a slow day. If you want to see more, check out www.wickedcampers.com.au.

BANKSY
Hopefully you've heard about Banksy, whether you like what he's doing or not. I think he makes the world a better place. OK, better will be debatable, but I'd say more magical. He shakes people out of their daydreams.

I think probably the first time I heard about him was a couple years ago when they found a painting that he had put up in the British Museum of a caveman pushing a shopping cart, and the painting has stayed up for several days before anyone noticed, and it was only after he put up a scavenger hunt for it, that anyone found it as a hoax. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

But really, his work speaks for itself. Check out www.banksy.co.uk for more.




MUSIC AND BOOKS

As I mentioned in a post a while back around the time of my birthday, I got this CD Movie Monster by Sound Team, and it's STILL rocking my face off. They have a really raw, simple sound, yet they're really melodic and sharp. Check them out for sure.

I've also been getting a good deal of reading in recently, and I just finished Tokyo Cancelled by Rana Dasgupta, which was good, but fluttered out at the end, and Politics, by Adam Thirlwell, which was really good. So now I've started on The Society of Others by William Nicholson, who apparently also wrote both The Velveteen Rabbit and Gladiator, so I suppose this one falls somewhere on that spectrum. I'm only 3 chapters in, but the narrative so far is really captivating. It's also got a great quote which caught my eye: "Either be silent or let your speech be better than silence." I like that in today's loud, obnoxious world.

So that should be good for a while. There was a couple other things that I was contemplating putting up here for you to have a gander at, so those might be coming around unless I find something better to talk about.

No comments: