Feb 11, 2007

Small Town Trap

Yeah, so I haven't been posting much lately. Big whoop, wanna fight about it? Life is just going too slow for comfort right now. I suppose I'm at the 4 month skid where you really start to learn just how boring the town you've moved to really is. Everything was great before Christmas, because you always have that to look forward to, but after that... I just don't know what there is. Costa Rica in July? Christmas again? Even with my birthday coming up in two days I'm not getting excited. 21! That's the golden number in the States, but in Australia it's nothing. Especially if you're 21 in Byron, and you don't have dreads or smoke copious amounts of weed, you don't exist. But yeah... not that excited about this one.

What's more is that the weather doesn't let up here. It's been constantly hot the entire time I've been here. Technically, I don't think it's as hot as it was in Colorado over the summer, but I really just need a break from it. I'm really starting to see a correlation between the temperature and my mood. I miss the cold nights when you're shivering when you get into bed, then you wrap all the layers of sheets and blankets around you to keep you warm. That's the best sleep I ever get. I'd wake up in the morning and feel so full of energy. Whenever I go to sleep here, I have to lay spread eagle on top of my sheets, directly underneath my fan, and I'll still wake up feeling sweaty and sticky. And that's when it's cooler at night!

But I suppose I can't really complain. I've been trying my best to keep busy all the time without resorting to getting pissed all the time like a lot of other students that live around here. I think I've been using my brain more than I have in years. I read a lot, been playing guitar, learning minute amounts of spanish... And at night we've been having fun the good old fashioned way. We play uno, and celebrity heads, and on certain nights of the week, we'll go out to our favorite places. Tuesday is $5 pizzas at eagle boys and cheap movie night at the theater, Saturday night is steak night at the services club so we go and eat and play some pool and darts... As much fun as it is, it does get pretty frustrating that the town doesn't offer much more than this. We're already stretching the limits of our imaginations.

I used to think that Fort Collins was a nowhere town and everyone just wanted to get out, but I can see now that I had it pretty sweet back there. So if any of you back there are getting discouraged or bored, I can tell you all the great things there are to do there, which I wish I could take advantage of now. But, and I only say this because of what I've been hearing recently, just get out and do something different. Don't worry so much about other peoples problems, or even your own, and go and discover everything there is to do in the world, before it's all gone.

Suffocate from lack of stimualation... My friend and I stick to the tired couches... Inspire me cause if you don't I think I'll dissipate to dust. The liar in me says somethings gonna happen soon because it must. Eve 6

2 comments:

Sitzman said...

Happy Birthday, man!
I know you told me, but I´m not entirely sure what day it is there now. But that´s OK, cause I´m not entirely sure what day it is HERE, now, either. I suspect "Sunday."
Bring your Xbox here and get the chip put in it to play copies. Then you´ll have years of entertainment down there.
Take care
Brother

Anonymous said...

happy birthday doofer. i sent you a text today, but i suppose that's tomorrow for you, if you even recieve that shit. peace.