Apr 18, 2006

What People Say Part One

Sometimes i can hardly stand my family. Edward and i went down to denver with my parents on easter to visit my family, and again, i thought everything went as it typically should. Everyone kept giving me shit about not being in school and all, but there was two comments that totally pissed me off. The first one came when edward and i were standing around the grill, and my uncle bob comes out and strikes up a conversation with edward.

"So edward, you and paul live in the same apartment?"
"Yeah"
"So you're still in school?"
"Yeah"
"Oh, so you're not a loser then."
They laughed.

Now, first off, i might laugh too, knowing that that was maybe supposed to be a joke, but the fact that my uncle and i have barely had a civilized conversation in, oh... my entire life, it just didn't seem funny that he should talk about me behind my back, even though i was clearly looking directly at him. What's more, you have to know my uncle. He's pretty freakin conservative (i don't know about his political stance, but he's really uptight) and he's worked his whole life as a computer programmer. However, I'd say that his one main accomplishment was that he has climbed all of the 14ers in colorado. It's pretty impressive.

So i would have to ask him... what's more important to him... the desk job that he got from his college degree, or the fact that he's done something extremely athletic and outgoing, that not many people in the world could even do? I'd think it'd have to be the second one, but the fact is... that's more of what i'm doing now... just trying to enjoy life, and not get caught up in shit jobs that i hate, but he still criticizes me for it.

I'll write more about the second comment that pissed me off later... this one has gone on long enough.

No comments: