Jul 29, 2006

When they got done, that table looked like (insert Middle Eastern country here).

Work was hell today. It would be funny, seeing a golf course in hell where everyone plays with eyeballs and fibulas, but sadly, that's not what it was. Even with a cool breeze blowing through, the temperature shot up. Unfortunately, they had me mowing fairways today. Usually they go by before lunch if you've got two people, but with one of the mowers broken, I already knew it would be a whole day project. It's terrible getting up there. You think the mower is like a throne, but it really just gets you that much closer to the sun, and when it was getting towards the end of the day, I could actually see my skin bubbling. Grotey.

I managed to make it through the day with only minor heat stroke, but there was no question that I was going to crash when I got home. After a half hour shower I took a three hour nap, but woke up feeling like I was going to puke. I went on over to the High Country, looking every bit as fucked up as I felt. But what's the best way to get over heat stroke? By dusting off a plate of ribs, some baked potatoes and an entire pitcher of water. I should've timed myself. My eating was swift and methodical, and even half way through the meal, while I knew I would need another nap, I already felt 100x better.

Once I got my mind back about me, I got back to my normal people watching that I do up here. Especially at the High Country, you get every kind of person imaginable, and even some that are unimaginable. But my favorite group tonight was this family of all guys (except for the mom, of course) but every single one of them was HUGE! Not the typical fat italian mobster family, but the "pump up your muscles and the gut will surely follow" huge. Even the littlest kid, who was probably about ten, already had the beginnings of a nice gut poking against the hem of his shirt. What was most funny about this family was that they were wearing nike, adidas, harley davidson and UNDER ARMOR! "Some might call it tacky to wear under armor to the dinner table, but what else is going to stretch as much as I do?"

But they were a nice family, and it's kind of how you would expect: all of the kids were loud and animated and the dad sat there with his arm around his smoking hot trophy wife. So I was wondering: Is this the new "American Family"? I don't see why it couldn't be that with all of our adrenaline-obsessed youth out there, who are always eating poorly, but pack themselves into the gym to show off to their smoking hot girlfriends, that this could be a new direction that America is headed in. You can almost see the evolution of the american family happening right before your eyes. But maybe that's how the rest of the world already views us. It certainly follows all the right stereotypes.

No comments: