Sep 24, 2004

Let's go get Lit.

So i've made the step from rookie to a... second time rookie. The first one wasn't so bad. In fact this is kind of what i've been looking for. My classes suck ass and i just have a bunch of reading to do, and no actual work. I like to write, so this is kind of giving me my fix for interesting stuff to do. That's right, i shoot this stuff right into my blood system. However if you're looking for a more natural high than this, Colorado is the place to do it. And i hear the organic highs are some of the best in the nation too. Let's kick this off with a good talk about literature.
As you may have seen in my profile, i read "anything that's short". Not that i can't read a thousand page book, and especially after that last Harry Potter, damn. But basically, my attention span is short enough that anything over 300 pages or so can be too much for me, just because i get bored with it, or somehow forget how captivated i was in it. Today, however, i did see a kid in the lunchroom reading a Terry Pratchett book. Now, Terry Pratchett was a man that i read about in a magazine. I believe it was People to be more specific. Yeah i read People. And yeah, i do the crossword puzzles. So after seeing an article about Terry Pratchett, which i didn't read as it looked longer than one of my posts, i decided to check him out. I use this same technique for music and movies too. I call it homework (a phrase which my bro applied to the situation), and it's my favorite kind of homework to do. I suggest everyone does it. Just go to the store and grab a cd which you've heard about, and buy it. Then listen to it with an open mind a few times.
Terry Pratchett's books are about a place called Discworld, which is a disc where people live, and it plays out much like other fantasy novels, but has a lot of good humor and colorful characters. It may sound kind of dumb, and the guy is a bit of a nerd from what i can tell, but he writes really well. So, i suggest to all you out there reading this to maybe go out and do a little research on him.

Part 2:
I went to the gym (gime, what the hell is a gime?) tonight, and ran around on the treadmills a bit. The resemblance of the treadmill to the futuristic treadmill in the Jetsons was uncanny. Luckily i didn't fall off like George always does. The only problem with it was it was about half the length of a normal treadmill, so i was always fearful of just stepping off the back. But, as my reader will be happy to hear, i'm ok.

Part 3:
So I also went to EPIC tonight for broomball, hockey with 50 people and 1/50th the speed. But it was fun. I fell on my ass once and on my knees once, and i got the crap hacked out of my toes more than once. Oh yeah, you also wear shoes on the ice instead skates. But for every time i fell on my ass, i also scored a goal. It was pretty kick ass, especially since i got a high five. Just one makes it worth it. However it was very interesting because we had 6 bloody noses on the ice, and you had to sign a liability waiver when you went in, just incase you got more than a bloody nose.

So concludes another day.

No comments: